Thursday, December 11, 2008

Going downhill #1

On the bus on the way to work the other day, I was sat in front of a couple of young professionals (yp).

Not that I was ear-wigging or anything... but, they were graduates recently moved here who were musing about acceptable areas to live in.

YP #1 was saying: "Apparently, Jesmond used to be really quite a smart area. You can understand why the people who have bought houses here are irritated by the increase in student accommodation"

YP #2 agreed "Yes, I think if I was looking to buy somewhere I certainly wouldn't want to live in Jesmond".

2 comments:

Julie said...

I don't think it is fair to think all students bring an area down, but I accept maybe sometimes you can get nuisance groups. When my daughter began University I helped her financially find a flat as she didn't want to go into the student accommodation on offer. We looked at various letting agents in Birmingham. She managed to rent out a really nice flat not too far from her University and I am confident she will pose no problem to the residents that reside there.

rogern said...

I don't think that's what I said to be fair.

The student/resident debate has been going on in Jesmond since the 1960's.

I can't comment on the area your daughter moved to because I don't know what it is and I don't know Birmingham. The fact that she didn't want to move into student accommodation does seem to indicate my point though.

Unless of course your response was an indirect advert for her letting agency?...