Monday, February 25, 2008

A nice piece of pie

I donned my new lovely warm coat for the first time on Friday when we visited the Haydn Kino (Cinema) on Mariahilferstraße to see Sweeney Todd.

I have been fascinated and slightly thrilled by this tale since I was a little boy when my dad told me the story of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street in a very matter-of-fact kind of way, probably on the way to the chip shop. I had heard good things about the film and generally like Tim Burton's work but I was slightly unnerved when I found out it was a musical.

The Haydn Kino is an English speaking cinema which allocates seats by row and number in a very teutonic way. We asked for seats near the back and got exactly that.

My reservations about the "musical"ness of the film were borne out as there some awful scenes with awful songs giving insight, at length, into the awfully troubled young hearts of the obsessed sailor and the imprisoned daughter, but on the whole, these scenes were overshadowed by the sets and some right rollicking performances. For some reason I had expected Mr Todd to shave his victims before slitting their throats, but perhaps that would have just been a bit too fetishistic for a mainstream film.

On Saturday morning I decided it was time for a shave. Well, you don't want to tempt fate do you?

1 comment:

rachel said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Sweeney Todd - I certainly did. I will make you a nice pie when you come home....