Friday, February 8, 2008

We are the egg men

I've been asked several times by friends "what are you actually eating while you're there?" and I think it's safe to say that our diet has changed (almost) entirely.

Gone is the porridge or muesli for breakfast to be replaced by an egg (boiled, scrambled or poached), with bread and ham. I mentioned on Wednesday that we don't have an oven or a grill in the flat which is proving challenging when it comes to making dinner. There's no more baked fish or roast vegetables or pizza (waaah!) or other mainstays of our diet. I think we're rising to the challenge though.

Last night though I threw some sliced, lemon juice marinated chicken breast into a frying pan with some delicious oyster mushrooms I'd bought from the Naschmarkt earlier and a handful of fresh dill (which you can buy here in huge bunches!). It was delicious and tasted far better than I could possibly have imagined.

The mushrooms have been a particularly good find, they're really firm and have an amazingly meaty texture and taste.

The meat we've had so far (chicken, beef) has been really tasty too. It makes you realise how sanitised produce is in the UK now and that it doesn't actually taste of anything. It's been quite strange to eat chickeny chicken when you're used to chicken (even organic, free range or corn fed) that's really quite bland. I suppose this means we're not using as much seasoning either, although some products, like muesli and cottage cheese for example, seem to have a higher salt content generally than at home.

Did I mention the eggs? Oh my! I've never tasted the like. They must come from very, very happy chickens!

As far as poncey food goes, I've found punnets of Physalis (chinese cherries) in the local Hofer (a supermarket a little like Lidl) for an amazing E0.59 (about 40p). Needless to say, being a sucker for a bargain, especially one that's so tasty, we're eating quite a lot of them too :)

No comments: